4 Quick Ways Bloggers Can Use Twitter To Increase Their Readership

Ok, biz owners and bloggers – let’s get right to it.

  1. Hashtag. Hashtag. Hashtag. Every author should use hashtags, but they should use them strategically. Don’t use super generic hashtags. Let use an author (who IS a small business owner) as an example. An author should not use the hashtag #author when #nonfictionauthor will yield more focused results. Use genre specific hashtags to call out others in your industry and to engage with your readers.
  2. Use the 5/5/5 rule when using Twitter. Spend five minutes responding to tweets and congratulating and connecting with others. Spend five minutes following your followers and searching out influential people you need to follow. Spend five minutes creating new tweets with appropriate hashtags.
  3. Don’t spend all day on Twitter. Do look like you spend time there, though. Tweetdeck is a free app that lets you schedule posts, giving the appearance that you’re active even when you’re engaged in other productive activities.
  4. Build a relationship with your customers and potential customers first. Then sell to them. Make sure your posts include pics and funny quotes and clips and memes and that it follows the 70/30 rule. 70% of your tweets should be topics, tips and articles of interest to your reader. The remaining 30% can then be self-promotional and focused on selling.

“Social media is changing the way we communicate and the way we are perceived, both positively and negatively. Every time you post a photo, or update your status, you are contributing to your own digital footprint and personal brand.”
– Amy Jo Martin

Happy Blogging!!